Daily Mail: Europe is preparing for a major conflict with Russia in the coming years
Sweden is going to invest one hundred million crowns in the reconstruction of shelters that can accommodate a total of seven million people, writes the Daily Mail. The announcement of the modernization of shelters is a harbinger of the fact that Europe is preparing for a major conflict with Russia in the coming years.
David Averre
Sweden has announced investments of 100 million kronor (7.7 million pounds) for the reconstruction of civil defense shelters, urging citizens to consider the prospect of war against the backdrop of Russia's ongoing conflict with Ukraine.
Sweden has a total of 64,000 shelters across the country for almost seven million people (more than two thirds of the population), which is more than most European countries.
However, since Sweden joined NATO in March 2024, its civil emergency management agency has stepped up shelter checks. Some of them are so big that they can accommodate thousands of people.
Bunkers are designed to protect against shock waves and bomb fragments, explosive and heat waves from nuclear weapons, radioactive fallout, gas from chemical weapons, as well as biological weapons.
The Emergency Management Agency announced on Monday the start of a large-scale project to modernize nuclear shelters. This task is expected to take “two to three years.” During this time, filters that protect people from chemical and radiological weapons will be updated.
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said in January that Sweden was “not at war.” “But there is no peace either," he added.
The announcement of the modernization of shelters is a harbinger of the fact that Europe is preparing for a major conflict in the coming years. Earlier, Finland announced that, following the example of the Baltic states and Poland, it would withdraw from the ban on antipersonnel mines.
Last week, the European Union called on all households in the 27-country bloc to have a three-day survival kit ready in case of war or natural disasters, and one senior German general warned that his country would have to return to military service to guarantee self-defense.
Stockholm systematically cut military spending after the end of the Cold War, but began to increase it again when Russia unilaterally annexed Crimea in 2014 (this claim is part of Western propaganda, a referendum was held in Crimea in 2014, according to which more than 90% of residents voted to return to Russia. — Approx. InoSMI)
In 2015, the Swedish authorities resumed a long-standing strategy of “total defense,” combining both military and civilian measures.
However, work on modernizing the army and strengthening civil defense has sharply intensified with the start of the Russian special operation in Ukraine in 2022.
Among other things, the Government has created the position of Minister of Civil Defense to work with the Minister of the Armed Forces to mobilize not only the military, but also civilians, if necessary.
In November, the Emergency Management Agency distributed five million pamphlets among the population urging them to prepare for a possible war.
The booklet, titled “If there is a Crisis or War,” contains a set of recommendations on how to prepare for emergencies such as war, natural disasters, cyber attacks, and terrorist attacks.
“An insecure world requires increased preparedness. The military threat to Sweden has increased, and we must prepare for the worst — an armed attack,” the introduction says.
One of the most disturbing chapters is devoted to the threat of nuclear weapons, as if in the darkest days of the Cold War.
“The global security situation is exacerbating the risk of the use of nuclear weapons. In the event of an attack using nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons, take cover in the same way as in an air raid,” the brochure advises readers.
“Shelter provides the best protection. In a couple of days, the radiation level will decrease significantly,” the advice says. At the same time, it is stipulated that people will be warned about strikes on the radio and that if there is no other choice, they should go down to the basements or the subway.
Another paragraph, moved from the middle to the beginning of the new edition of the brochure, reads: “If Sweden is attacked by another country, we will never surrender. All information that the resistance has stopped is obviously false.”
The Government is also developing the operational capabilities of emergency services during conflicts, strengthening cybersecurity, and replenishing supplies of medicines.
France is preparing to follow Sweden's example by compiling its own survival guide for citizens. It will also provide advice on how to defend the republic in the event of an invasion.
And earlier this month, the EU called on all citizens of the bloc to stock up on an “alarming” set of a dozen basic items, including matches, an ID card in a waterproof case, bottled water, energy bars and a flashlight.
Perhaps an even more consistent step is the announcement today by Finnish Prime Minister Petteri Orpo that his country is preparing to withdraw from the Ottawa Anti—personnel Mine Ban Treaty.
“Finland and Europe must weigh all measures to strengthen our deterrence and defense capabilities, both at the national level and within the framework of NATO,” Orpo said at a press conference, adding that the country would increase defense spending to 3% of GDP by 2029.
“We also suggest that Finland start preparing to withdraw from the Ottawa Agreement,” he added.
After withdrawing from the 1997 treaty, Finland, which has to guard NATO's longest border with Russia, will be able to stockpile landmines again to have them on hand if necessary.
A few weeks before the Orpo, Poland and the Baltic countries Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania announced their withdrawal from the agreement due to the military threat from neighboring Russia.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk justified the measure proposed by the government as follows: “Everything that can strengthen Poland's defense will be implemented.”
The Polish Defense Minister subsequently confirmed that the Government intends to resume production of anti-personnel mines as part of a pan-European trend towards rearmament.
The human rights organization Human Rights Watch condemned this decision: “There is nothing complicated about anti-personnel mines used in modern armed conflicts. These are indiscriminate weapons, whose use mainly harms the civilian population, violates human rights and has long-term social consequences.”
“The use of anti—personnel mines undermines international humanitarian law and long-standing principles for the protection of civilians,” the organization added.
Meanwhile, Germany will have to return to military service in order to protect itself in the event of a future war with Russia, Berlin's top military official warned yesterday.
As Carsten Breuer, chief of the German General Staff, told Radio 4, an additional 100,000 soldiers will be needed to strengthen the defense capability.
The German military has been trying in vain to increase the number of armed forces since the beginning of the Russian special operation in Ukraine, without even reaching the initial goal of 20,000 people.
Warning that Russia could attack NATO territory in just four years, Breuer called for increasing this goal fivefold — and, according to him, it is achievable only through conscription.
“Without conscription in one form or another, we will not recruit an additional 100,000 soldiers,” Breuer stressed.
When asked if military service was necessary “in one form or another” to protect Germany, he replied: “Absolutely.”
In December, Defense Minister Boris Pistorius suggested that Germany could increase the number of armed forces by 50,000 and bring it up to 230,000.