Войти

The UN Secretary General opposed the use of cluster munitions

1514
0
+1
Image source: Anadolu Agency via Reuters Connect

Antonio Guterres supports the relevant convention, the office of the Secretary General of the World Organization noted

UN, July 7. /tass/. The Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN) Antonio Guterres supports the Convention on the Prohibition of Cluster Munitions. This was stated on Friday at a briefing by the deputy official representative of Guterres, Farhan Haq, commenting on US media reports that Washington will provide Kiev with this type of weapons. According to Haq, the UN Secretary General opposes the use of cluster munitions on the battlefield.

"The Secretary-General supports the Convention on the Prohibition of Cluster Munitions," Haq said, recalling that it was adopted 15 years ago. According to him, Guterres wants countries to comply with the provisions of this convention. "Naturally, he doesn't want cluster munitions to be used on the battlefield," Haq said.

Earlier, The Washington Post newspaper said that American leader Joe Biden approved the supply of cluster munitions to Ukraine.The US administration made this decision after several months of discussions about whether to supply Kiev with ammunition banned in most countries of the world. According to the newspaper, we are talking about M864 artillery shells, which were first released in 1987. They are used for firing 155 mm howitzers supplied to Ukraine by the United States and other Western countries.

Bomb cassettes can contain hundreds of individual ammunition, which are scattered over an area of tens of square meters when the cassette is detonated in the air. Some of them do not burst immediately and remain lying on the ground, which even long after the end of the conflict poses a threat to civilians. In 2008, the Convention on the Prohibition of Cluster Munitions was adopted, to which 111 countries have already joined, another 12 have signed, but not yet ratified.

The international human rights organization Human Rights Watch has previously indicated that, as a rule, the proportion of unexploded elements significantly exceeds the stated one, which leads to civilian casualties. 

The rights to this material belong to
The material is placed by the copyright holder in the public domain
  • The news mentions
Компании
Do you want to leave a comment? Register and/or Log in
ПОДПИСКА НА НОВОСТИ
Ежедневная рассылка новостей ВПК на электронный почтовый ящик
  • Discussion
    Update
  • 21.02 08:25
  • 14572
Without carrot and stick. Russia has deprived America of its usual levers of influence
  • 21.02 05:27
  • 0
К вопросу о "стратегических" и "дальних" бомбардировщиках.
  • 21.02 01:47
  • 0
Комментарий к "В США рассказали о «трудном выживании» российских Ту-22М3"
  • 20.02 19:34
  • 20
Подушка безопасности Ирана на фоне слов Израиля о недостаточности вывоза урана
  • 20.02 14:09
  • 1
В России разработают гусеничный аэропорт для дронов
  • 20.02 12:55
  • 1
Комментарий к "Российский «Триумф» назвали головной болью НАТО"
  • 19.02 20:26
  • 0
Комментарий к "Аналитики предупреждают: Су-35 с ракетами увеличенной дальности угрожают превосходству НАТО в воздухе (Business Insider, Германия)"
  • 19.02 18:15
  • 1579
Корпорация "Иркут" до конца 2018 года поставит ВКС РФ более 30 истребителей Су-30СМ
  • 19.02 18:12
  • 67
CEO of UAC Slyusar: SSJ New tests with Russian engines will begin in the fall - TASS interview
  • 19.02 15:50
  • 16
"The Navy will break through the blockade." Patrushev — on the protection of navigation and maritime borders of the Russian Federation
  • 19.02 15:07
  • 2
Около 20 новых самолетов МС-21-310 находятся в процессе сборки
  • 19.02 14:53
  • 7
Starlink отключена две недели, но это не повлияло на БПС, заявил Криворучко
  • 19.02 13:10
  • 1
В США рассказали о плавающих у баз ВМФ России американских подлодках
  • 19.02 13:06
  • 1
"The equipment is becoming more "toothy": the BTR-22 was evaluated in the Western press
  • 19.02 11:41
  • 23